Monday, February 8, 2016

Must Make: Cashew Milk


I haven't done a "Must Make" in easily a year, so I figured if I'm going to throw one into the mix, it better be a good one. (IMHO, it's a really really good one.)

I love cashew milk, which came as a surprise because I was never a die-hard fan of almond milk. Ellie made a batch of cashew milk around this time last year and was kind enough to fill up a mason jar with this fresh, nutty milk for me to try, and I've been hooked ever since. Then I insisted all of my friends make it, too. (A funny note: after I passed the recipe along to a few girls, they all took to Facebook to post photos and OMG I made milk! whatnots - and then realized a few other girls on their news feed had done the same. It was funny being on the receiving end of all those texts: You gave the recipe to Rachel too, didn't you! And Sophia!)

The original recipe is here, which I haven't really tweaked, I just use less water because I think it can get too watered down using all 4 cups of water (and I prefer nonfat milk versus creamier milk, just for reference). I use raw maple as my sweetener of choice and a pinch more of cinnamon, too.

Cashew Milk

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 4 cups water, divided (I use about 3)
  • 1-2 TBSP raw maple syrup (or honey/agave)
  • 2 TSP vanilla extract
  • Dash sea salt
  • Pinch (or two!) of cinnamon

Instructions:
Soak cashews in water for at least 4 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. Drain/rinse until the water runs clear. Add cashews and 2 cups of water to a blender and pulverize, 2 minutes or so. Blend in remaining water, sweetener, vanilla, sea salt and cinnamon; strain through cheese cloth. Voila, milk! Keeps 3-4 days in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment