Saturday, January 2, 2016

Mar Vist-mas.

2015 brought me the first "family" Christmas I've had in a long time. My friend Aurelia invited me to her uncle's house in Mar Vista for dinner, and instead of politely declining in favor of staying home with the dogs, I actually went...
I'll be honest, I did get a little overwhelmed when she told me fourteen people were expected - and then she quickly added that five dogs were, too. 'Nuff said. I planned to take my camera so I could snap some family photos for everyone (and send via snail mail later), but also to have some sort of armor in case I felt a bit uncomfortable. I wasn't nervous about not liking her family; rather, it was more like anxious nerves prior to meeting a boyfriend's family for the first time. On a major holiday.
Almost immediately upon arrival, I knew I had nothing to worry about. It was a casual, relaxed setting (I wasn't necessarily overdressed - but I definitely wasn't underdressed), with an abundance of wine to ensure it remained that way. People mixed and mingled, and it was fun getting to know more about where my good friend came from, since I hadn't met any of her family before. A good LA Christmas for the books, it was. And speaking of...

My Christmas dinner contribution: a colorful roasted root vegetable salad.
Easily my favorite part of the night. A notebook (from the Sixties!) was passed around the table for each person - including me - to write in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment