Wednesday, July 8, 2015

My Second Fourth...

...of July spent at Grand Park. Last year, I went as a twosome with the ex. This year, it was a threesome with my girls, Ellie and Kemi, who also live downtown.

This year wins. Ha.

I wasn't too sure how I was going to feel when I woke up that day. In the past, this holiday (as well as New Years Eve) has more often than not proven to be kind of meh, so I typically try to downplay both and reduce any added stress and/or "holiday" expectations. Not to sound overly bitter about previous years, I just prefer to consider it a normal day with a potential bonus of three "F's" - food, friends and fireworks. (I'd say four "F's," but I'm single.) 

I got all three!

I was careful to manage any possible emotions that could creep up on me: last year I was here with my boyfriend; last year I had a boyfriend...as well as the year before that, etc. (A funny note re: an annoying Fourth: the year before last, I drove to Pasadena to watch fireworks with the ex, because he was working around the Rose Bowl, but all of the streets were shut down and I got gridlocked on the freeway. And then my phone died, so I got lost trying to take alternative routes home. Womp.)

Aside from a joke about kicking a lovely-dovey couple's knees out, I think I did pretty well overall. To be honest, I really don't miss him, nor am I longing for a partner at all. I'm pretty okay with being my own partner for a while, and that feels good. I have some kick-ass girls to hang out with in the interim, and I didn't have them last year, so it's a fair trade (if not a better one). Maybe in the future I can have all four "F's" - but for now, three outta four ain't bad.

  
(I made the Mediterranean salads before knowing Kemi would join, lol. )
    
    
    
 

3 comments:

  1. I often have high holiday expectations myself, so I end up a bit bummed if we don't do much. I'd say it looks like you had a really great time. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the best time! The fireworks are gorgeous!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you had a great fourth! It was strange to be in Germany on the fourth, where it's just another normal day :)

    ReplyDelete