Monday, April 6, 2015

Downtown dwellin'.


How is it, having dogs in a city?
How do they like being in a city?
Is it hard having not just one but two dogs in a city?
How many times a day do you have to walk them?
Don't you feel bad for them, being stuck in an apartment?
Don't you wish you had a backyard?

These are a few example questions I get on the regular, and I'm pretty good about not being offended by them anymore. Most of the time, people aren't trying to take direct jabs at me and criticize my life decisions, and I try to keep that in mind before defensively spitting out any answers.

I've touched on this before, and my view on it hasn't really strayed. Quite simply, we dig the city. It still works for us. I do have moments of wanting a more peaceful atmosphere (especially for my nervous little Z), but this is our life as we (mostly) know it. Ziggy has lived here his whole life, so he doesn't know any different. Nellie, on the other hand, would probably prefer to live beachside in Malibu--but hell, I would too, if I had the dough. (Of note: she doesn't have a prerequisite for a bourgie beach and would be happy on any beach. Malibu is just where we go.)

Anyway, here are my answers, defensive and moderately defensive:

Q: How is it, having dogs in a city?
(D) A: Just fine.
(MD) A: Just fine!

Q: How do they like being in a city?
(D) A: They are just fine.
(MD) A:  They are just fine!

Q: Is it hard having not just one but two dogs in a city?
(D) A: Nope.
(MD) A: Nah.

Q: How many times a day do you have to walk them?
(D) A: Never; I never take them out. That's part of city living.
(MD) A: Typically 4 times per day.

Q: Don't you feel bad for them, being stuck in an apartment?
(D) A: Totally. Being "stuck" in their "luxury loft" sucks.
(MD) A: Not at all. My dogs go on several long walks each day. (Which likely more than your dog.)


Q: Don't you wish you had a backyard?
(D) A: No. We're just fine.
(MD) A: Not gonna lie, kind of. Nah, the entire city is our backyard.

& I shouldn't blow their cover, but they're also the city's Superheros.

2 comments:

  1. When people ask me "You live around here with that dog??" in that accusatory tone (you know the one), I say "Oh no, he just had a meeting downtown."

    ReplyDelete
  2. *returns to desk after going pee and getting a cookie, sees above comment, notices how stupid she looks in hat*

    ReplyDelete