Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"There is only now."

Lisbon, Portugal (Fall 2013)

It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie

I previously mentioned how it's one of those times in life where I'm thinking about any and everything. Maybe overthinking any and everything. I'm thinking about the future, and where I want to be geographically and financially. Who knows where that is. I've been budgeting like crazy, thinking about buying a home one day, and thinking about the new car that I'll need soon, and vacations I want to take, and fiscal goals I want to hit before having a family...all that jazz. I've been really on top of it, and it's felt pretty good! And then I came across this quote (above) on Instagram earlier today, which completely made me rethink everything I had been focusing so hard on all month. Funny how that works...

I'll default to my normal "balance is key" rule here and say that both being at least a little prepared and living in the "now" is a good idea. You don't want to set yourself up to fail. But there is plenty of truth in Laurie's statement: there is only now. Which really gets you thinking, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment