Monday, January 27, 2014

Published.

I had such a busy week last week, and I loved it. It was a good, mind-occupying busy that left me feeling quite productive (and quite tired). I didn't blog because of being busy, but also because I wanted to blog about something in particular and I had to wait and see if it all was going to work out. And it did! (Yay!)

A friend of mine asked me if I'd be interested in taking some photos of a few food items that would be on the 2014 Grammy's menu. The photos would accompany a "what the stars will eat" story that would run on E! Online, so needless to say I was pretty excited about the opportunity.

It was a challenge though, to be honest, to take food photos; I'm used to photographing people. You can catch a candid of a person which creates a brilliant photo--and you can't do that with food. You also need to stage the scene. The lighting needs to be impeccable. And for all of these reasons, I was nervous for the turnout. I think nerves can prove to be a good thing though, because it emphasizes how much you care about what you're doing, so you put in that much more effort.  Here's the final product, below, and click here for the story on E!

Cedar Plank Salmon (Serves 12) 
Ingredients:
4 pounds Atlantic wild salmon
6 oz. honey
6 oz. whole grain mustard
6 oz. fresh thyme
Cedar plank boards (a 6" x 14" will hold apx. two salmon fillets) 
Directions:
Whisk honey and whole grain mustard in a bowl. Place salmon in a pan and brush on honey-mustard mixture. Place 2 ounces of fresh thyme directly on salmon. Marinate salmon for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Char cedar planks with a blow torch before using. Place remaining thyme sprigs on the base of the board and place salmon on board. Bake in oven at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve salmon on cedar board. Can be served hot or room temperature. 

Grammy Old Fashioned
Ingredients:
2 oz. Hudson Manhattan Rye
1 sugar cube
2 to 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
Strip of candied bacon
Maraschino cherries 
Directions:
Mix bitters and sugar cube in an old-fashioned glass. Muddle sugar and bitters into a paste using a muddler or back side of a spoon. Drop in cherries, pour in bourbon, fill with ice and stir. Garnish with bacon strip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment