Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Must Make: White Bean Arugula Crostini


Since returning from Spain, all I want to do is make food that I ate in Spain. (As I mentioned, my heart is totally still there. So, I will recreate everything I can, when I can, to feel as though that's where I am.) I ate a bunch of "montaditos" in Spain, which are essentially Crostinis, so when I saw this cute appetizer in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine this month, I knew it'd be a must-make.

And since I'm talking about Spain, I should mention why there haven't been any blog updates or new photos--that's because I lost a day's worth of photos when I deleted them out of Picasa (don't get me started; I will be writing them a letter about it)--because that program wouldn't open CR2 files. They deleted completely off of my computer, and I was unable to recover them because the files were apparently so large that they somehow bypassed my recycle bin. (And I cried.) I do still have the reference files in Lightroom, but they're kind of blurry when you open them and they can't reference the original file...so it's been kind of a mess. I'm still hopeful that I can somehow get them not-blurry, take a screenshot, re-open them in Lightoom, and edit and re-save...

Anyway. Make this, it's super easy, and looks impressive when done! It's also super good. (Pardon the remains of another Crostini on this serving dish. They were eaten quickly--I may have helped with that--and as usual, I didn't think to take a photo first.

Here's what you need/ what you do:
       Need:
  • 6 slices  crusty country bread ( 10 to 15 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoons  olive oil
  • 1 small  red onion, chopped (1/2 cup) 
  • 119  ounce can  cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 tablespoons  chopped oil-packed dried tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons  red wine vinegar
  • 1 cup  arugula
  • 1 tablespoon  chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon  ground black pepper
  •                    Lemon Wedge

  • do:
1.In a large skillet cook bread slices in oil over medium-high heat, 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
2.Add onion to hot oil in skillet; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add beans, dried tomatoes, and vinegar; heat through.
3.Transfer bean mixture to a bowl. Mash. leaving some beans whole. Stir in arugula, parsley, salt, and pepper. Spoon mixture over toasts. Squeeze lemon over toast just before serving. Makes 6 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment