Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Must Make: Chicken Parmesan & Spaghetti Squash


Chicken Parmesan is another dish that I never thought I'd make. In the past I wouldn't have gone near a dish that had tomato anything or cheese, so it wasn't really on my immediate "must make" list. But, since I'm growing up and trying new things, I decided to give this one a whirl. And I'm glad I did, because I'm not gonna lie...I did a pretty darn good job.

I used a variation of this recipe  for the chicken, and to make the sauce, it's pretty simple:

Get a quality can of crushed tomatoes and olive oil. Put a few tablespoons of oil in a pot, dump the tomatoes, add some fresh basil, oregano, salt and pepper (I throw in garlic and onion powder, and sometimes I'll dice up some onions; it's really up to you), and keep it on medium heat for about 20 minutes or so. Then just drop it down to a simmer until you are ready to use it.


The spaghetti squash is super easy, too. Some people microwave it, but I bake it. Cut it in half, brush on a little oil, salt and pepper, and place it face down on a sheet and bake it at 425 for 35-45 minutes (it depends on how hot your oven is, really). Then flip it over and bake for another 15 minutes, face-up. Once you take it out of the oven, scoop out the seeds, and the rest of the pulp will be easy to take out with a fork. It'll look like stringy spaghetti! Throw the chicken on top, add as much sauce and basil as you'd like, and there ya go: chicken Parmesan spaghetti squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment