Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Must Make - Turkey & quinoa stuffed peppers.


The quinoa killa is back at it: quinoa stuffed peppers are the business.

I don't think I had to use my crackpot crockpot for these at all...but I went ahead and used it anyway. I was trying to find more crockpot recipes and came across stuffed bell peppers -which I never would have looked at twice before since I never used to eat peppers - but I thought hey, I've tried them here and there more recently, so why not make stuffed peppers. That way, I could always dump the filling out of the pepper and not eat the actual pepper if I didn't want to.

And that's kind of what I did. (For the red pepper at least.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of lean turkey
  • 1-2T oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1C Quinoa (rinsed)
  • 2C Chicken broth
  • 6-8 Red/Green peppers
  • Tomato
  • Onion
  • Corn
  • Beans
  • Green onion
  • Toppings: cheese (I shredded cheddar and Jack), salsa, sour cream and guacamole!
Instructions:
Cook 1C quinoa in 2C broth. In a separate pan,  saute onion until soft, and then add garlic for about 1 minute. Throw in the turkey, and cook until just browned. Add corn, bean, tomato, green onion, and cook for a few minutes. Finally, add the quinoa. Once all mixed, hollow the peppers and then stuff!  This is when I threw the peppers into the crockpot, and slow-cooked them until I got home from work. (It was probably 3-4 hours or so.) About 30 minutes before I took them out, I added a bunch of cheese on top so it would melt. And because I'm boring, that was my only topping :)  For you non-boring people, top with whatever you please, and as always, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment