Thursday, September 19, 2013

Must Make: Crockpot turkey chili.


Are you surprised to see another crackpot crockpot recipe? Because I'm totally not surprised I'm posting another one.

I like ground turkey versus ground beef when cooking, just to up the health factor a bit. This makes me feel a little better when making chili, for example, because it's obvious I will be making accompanying french fries. (Duh.)

Here's my recipe, which is essentially throwing all of the ingredients (below) in the crockpot.

Ingredients:
  • 1 package lean ground turkey (browned first)
  • 1 medium sweet onion
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, depending on preference
  • 1 can tri-bean
  • 1 can golden corn
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 (ish) red bell pepper (I use less for my boring pallet)
  • 1t chili powder (more if you like the spice, or use cayenne pepper for a good kick)
  • 1t black pepper
  • 1t cumin
  • 1/2t onion powder
  • 1/2t garlic powder
  • Green onion topping, to taste
  • Shredded cheddar topping, to taste
  • (Sour cream and avocado also make for good toppings, for you non-boring folks)
Instructions:
I actually saute the onion and garlic first until soft, and then I add the turkey until browned. Once finished, I put it in the crockpot and mix in the rest of the ingredients, and serve over oven-baked fries! The seasonings pretty much depend on what you want, or what you have in your kitchen. I encourage experimenting a bit, so you can get a good sense of what you like. And, it feels a bit more like you know what you're doing in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment