Monday, August 12, 2013

How to keep your man, food edition: BBQ pulled chicken and biscuits.


Okay. One day I will prepare in advance for taking photos when cooking. It's just so hard when the food looks and smells so good...to actually stop stuffing your face for the 30 seconds it'd take to get a decent picture and take the picture.

Anyway. Last weekend, I bought a crockpot. It's weird that it took me so long to buy one, or even think to buy one, considering how much I love food and love to cook. All that aside, it is easily my new favorite thing in the world. I have actually stopped calling it a crockpot--it is now the crackpot.

Since buying the crackpot, I have made chicken tortilla soup, chicken nachos, chicken cheese-steaks (in case anyone didn't know, chicken is my fav), turkey chili, and last night, I made BBQ pulled chicken (with biscuits, sweet potatoes, and spinach with toasted almonds). Now, this isn't a meal I'd typically lean toward making, but I figured it was solid manly meal, which my man would appreciate. I mean, he deals with my constant quinoa-making and healthy food substitutions, so I can throw in a guy meal here and there, right? And I'm not going to act like I don't love biscuits. Because I do.

For a busy person like myself, it's nice to just throw a bunch of stuff in the crackpot and spoon it onto a plate at the end of a busy day. For this BBQ chicken, it's easy:
  • 1 lb of chicken breast
  • About 2/3 bottle of BBQ sauce (Um, how'd I forgot to mention this initially?! Thanks Crystal! Ha.)
  • 1/3C brown sugar
  • 2T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2C apple cider vinegar
Throw in all of those ingredients, and depending on when you are intending to eat, cook on low/high. (I had it slow-cooking for 10 hours.) The chicken naturally pulls apart, which is like heaven to me. I just made sure the ingredients had been well combined while cooking, and served the chicken over hot biscuits when it was time to eat! Seriously, so good.

Buy a crackpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment