This buffalo chicken quinoa salad was sent to me by my friend Rachel (flashback: I got her this house warming gift), and boy am I glad she sent it. I'm kind of a plain Jane when it comes to my food, but this got me out of my comfort zone a bit. From the hot sauce to the blue cheese, there were things that my plain self would normally not go for. I've enjoyed making new things though, and even if I don't really love them, I'm kind of proud for trying them anyway! (And if anything, I think the bf is happy to switch things up a bit. I could eat a roast chicken every single day without fail.)
This recipe is pretty simple:
- Make 1 cup of quinoa (note: I use 2C of chicken broth instead of water), and while that's cooking, make a buffalo hot sauce and cook chicken and broccoli.
- For the hot sauce (I used Frank's), combine 1/2C olive oil, 1/2C hot sauce, and seasoning salt. Whisk to combine.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and add 1T olive oil to saute broccoli until soft--but still a bit crisp. Remove from pan.
- Cook 3/4lb chicken in same pan; cut into bite-sized pieces. Add 1/4C buffalo sauce and cook until absorbed.
- When the quinoa is ready, add chicken, broccoli, 1/2C shredded carrot, 1/2C shredded cabbage (the recipe called for 3/4 but I used a bit less), and desired buffalo sauce. Toss, and add blue cheese and green onion to taste. Serve, and top with more blue cheese and green onion.