Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Transformation Tuesday: distressed nightstand.


Taking a cue from my black & white obsession, I was inspired yesterday to transform this thrifted piece (above), which has been a makeshift entryway table in my apartment for some time now. I bought it with intentions of painting it and getting a new knob for it--but I just never got around to it.

WELL. I began painting it yesterday, and had planned on keeping it all white; but I noticed these fabulous lines within the wood, and thought it'd be cool to keep some of it black! (I imagine writing about blacks and whites proved a bit inspirational.) I was pretty impressed with how it turned out, and I decided to use it as a nightstand, since I have been in the market for a new one. Trying to keep my mother's advice in my head about not decorating specifically for my current space, I wanted to use what I already had, and see what I could do with that. And a whopping $7.00 or so later, here is my transformation:


^^ I thought it would be cool to give it a distressed look, and all it took was a little bit of sandpaper to make that effect.
^^I'm a compulsive list-maker, jotter-downer extraordinaire, so I love having a great notepad within reach. My friend Caitlin bought this one for me. 
^^Adding a little "life" to any space really makes a difference, in my opinion. I made a quick trip to Walgreens to print a couple photos, and I returned with this little guy.
 (This photo was taken before I had finalized my nightstand organization...)

I'm really loving the new piece--all I need now is a new knob! And I love that it became something different than what I had initially expected it to. It makes me feel like I've completely re-done my bedroom area, and I just want to hang out on that side of my apartment now :)

1 comment:

  1. looks great! anthropology has great knobs!

    ReplyDelete