Thursday, May 16, 2013

A love break.


Relationships are not cut and dry, despite my wanting for them to be. I'm a simple kind of girl, who likes things black and white (for the most part). It's the grey area that can really confuse me and get me over-analyzing things that, in theory, shouldn't even be analyzed at all.

I got to talking with my friend Nadia about relationships, particularly the "do's and don'ts" when you are fresh out of a relationship, and realized we have similar--yet very different--views on what you should do post-relationship. I think it's easy to assume you need your own space, that you should not be dating, and need the time to figure out who you are out of a relationship--since you were just in one (which Nadia and I agreed on, btw); however, I was reading this article about Zoe Saldana, and this passage really resonated with me:

"...when it didn’t work [with Britton] it was heartbreaking for the both of us, but it’s life,’ she said. ‘I believe in love because I had it for so long, so I know it’s possible. I’m not one of these people who’s going, “Oh, because I was with someone for so long I need to take a break.” What if love is just around the corner?"

Amen. I mean, what if it is just around the corner? Should you deny love because you had already told yourself were in need of a dating break? And probably because that's just what you think you should be doing, versus what you really want to do? Unfortunately, there's no blanket advice for love and relationships. I think your best bet is to go with the flow (if only it were that easy), and not listen to anyone, or anything, other than your heart. It'd be a shame to deny someone and the potential opportunity with them just because you are afraid of relationship-jumping. Like Zoe said, quite simply, "it's life." I'd just be mindful about seeing who is around the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment