Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Travel deals & steals.

(Via Pinterest.com)

Today, I have another secret to share with you: I am not rich. Or almost rich. Or almost almost rich. (At all.) Now, judging from my travels over the last 6 months, you may think otherwise; but it's the truth. Like anything I do, I really research the heck out of it. Traveling is no different. I set alerts for all these different places months in advance, and just watch the trends! It's actually kind of simple: you see prices drop, and then they raise, and then they drop, and then they raise. Naturally, you buy during the drop! I would say it's easier to not have a specific destination in mind, because then if you just see an absurdly low price for a random plane ticket somewhere, you can just nab it on the spot! But if not, try to squeeze a few months prior to traveling where you want, and just pay attention to those same trends.

I get asked a lot about the different websites I use for airfare, how I find "cute" accommodations, etc., so below I've listed some of my trusty resources. (Funny enough, as I'm typing this, my friend Ingrid just sent me a message saying I should be a travel agent.) I hope this helps!
  1. Kayak.com.  I'd say this is where you'd typically hear me scream, "winner winner chicken dinner!" I feel like I hit the jackpot with airfare here. (I'd say this site is my wife, while others are the sidepiece/s. Ha.) Sign up for price alerts! I receive them daily, for over a dozen destinations (and from multiple email accounts, so I can watch even more trends). You can receive weekly alerts, if daily is too much.
  2. Travelzoo.com. Sign up for deals particular to your departure city! Here is where I'd just sit and wait for an overall package deal. I went to Hawaii in 2010 (Waikiki, specifically), for roughly $300.00 total. Yes, total. Airfare, taxes, and lodging were included.
  3. Airfarewatchdog.com is also a great place to sign up for price notifications, and you can set thresholds so no prices over whatever amount you choose will be sent to you. 
  4. Groupon Getaways and Bloomspot travel are other great sources if you are open to traveling wherever, whenever. Ah, so is Vacationist.com. (These deals are a little pricier but maybe more luxurious?)
  5. Finally, I can use Travelocity, Orbitz Expedia, and SouthWest Click 'N Save for both airline and package searching, comparing and contrasting. I guess I pretty much exhaust any and every resource possible...but it is so worth it.  
Let me know if you find any great deals, based upon these tips, and happy hunting! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a great post!! You are so informative AND funny. lol My favorite part of this entire thing, "Winner winner chicken dinner!!" ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to use this info to book my vacations! Thanks KB :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are various other online travel agencies as well such as Expedia!

    ReplyDelete