Monday, December 3, 2012

Must Make: "Melt in your mouth potatoes."


I think the portion on my plate just about sums it up! (Don't judge me.) These potatoes are unreal. Anything that lists bacon as an ingredient is automatically A-OK in my book.

So. All hail Pinterest. I have forgotten the days of pulling out my trusty cookbooks, because I only resort to you, dear Pinterest, when I want something to eat. Or drink. Or create. And in the midst of a pinning escapade, I found these "melt in your mouth potatoes..."

which I may or may not have made a bunch of times already. Here's what you need:


  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 lb hickory smoked, thick sliced bacon
  • 3 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
  • coarse salt
  • fresh ground pepper

And it's super easy from here! Preheat your oven to 425°.  Put the potatoes in a pot and fill it with water, so they're covered by about 2-3 inches. Boil for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Then slice the bacon into pieces (did you know if you freeze the bacon for 10 minutes it's easier to cut?!), or you can be lazy like me and do that later. Just cook in a skillet until flexible, and reserve bacon drippings.

Drain the potatoes, and when cool enough, quarter or cut in half. (I didn't need to peel mine because they already had been peeled. And I got the baby potatoes to make it easier.) Now, according to this recipe, you're supposed to brush olive oil and bacon drippings on to the bottom of your baking pan...but I decided to forgo the oil and just use bacon drippings. HA. Place the potatoes cut side down on a prepared pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes, and be sure to rotate the potatoes halfway.

Now, reduce temperature to 375°, turn potatoes over and sprinkle bacon, garlic, and cheese, and bake for another 15-20 minutes. (Note: I used mozzarella instead of Parmigiano-Reggian, so I put the cheese on a few minutes before I took the potatoes out.)  Finally - enjoy way too many of them, as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment